Keeping you informed on Privacy Protection Policies
In the course of providing customers with quality health, life and travel coverage, Medavie Blue Cross acquires and stores certain personal information about its clients and their dependents. The purpose of this document is to keep you informed about privacy protection practices at Medavie Blue Cross.
Protecting personal information is not new to us. Ensuring the confidentiality of client information has always been fundamental to the way we do business, and our staff takes the privacy policies and procedures we have in place to ensure that confidentiality very seriously.
What is personal information?
Personal information includes details about an identifiable individual and may include name, age, identification numbers, income, employment data, marital and dependent status, medical records, and financial information.
How is your personal information used?
Your personal information is necessary to allow Medavie Blue Cross to process your application for coverage under its health, life and travel plans. Your personal information is used:
- to provide the services outlined in your contract or the group contract of which you are an eligible member
- to understand your needs so that we can recommend suitable products and services, and
- to manage our business
To whom could this personal information be disclosed?
Depending on the type of coverage you carry with us, release of selected personal information to the following may be necessary in order to provide the services outlined in your contract or the group contract of which you are an eligible member:
- other Canadian Blue Cross organizations in order to administer your benefit plan if you reside outside the Atlantic Provinces, Quebec or Ontario
- specialized health care professionals when necessary to assess benefit or product eligibility
- government and regulatory authorities in an emergency situation or where required by law
- Blue Cross Life Insurance Company of Canada and other third parties, on a confidential basis, when required to administer the benefits outlined in your contract or the group policy of which you are an eligible member or
- the cardholder of any contract under which you are a participant
We do not provide or sell personal information about you to any outside company for use in marketing and solicitation. Personal information about you or your dependents is not released to a third party without permission unless necessary to fulfil the services Medavie Blue Cross is contracted to provide to you.
To ensure Medavie Blue Cross is able to provide you with the best possible service, it is important that the personal information we use is accurate and up to date. You can help by keeping us informed of changes of address, marital status and the addition or deletion of dependents. Should you become aware of errors in our information about you, please contact our customer service personnel and we will ensure the data is corrected.
By becoming an Medavie Blue Cross customer or filing a claim for benefits, you are agreeing to allow your personal information to be used and disclosed in the manner outlined above. If you prefer that we not use or disclose your personal information in those situations where it is not necessary to administer your benefit plan, please visit our website or write to us at the address provided.
Please note that not allowing Medavie Blue Cross to use information about you may mean we may not be able to provide you with certain products or services that may be of use to you.
Chief Privacy Officer
Medavie Blue Cross
Risk Management Group
644 Main Street
PO Box 220
Moncton, NB E1C 8L3
If the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may file a complaint in writing to:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street